Monday, June 27, 2011

A Weekend in PNG

This weekend was a mixture of full and relaxing. Friday night my roommates and I went and had dinner and watched a movie with the few remaining members of the Discovery program who haven’t gone to other villages. It was a “special occasion” so we all wore ties. It’s the little things in life that make it fun. We ate a bunch of waffles with all kinds of things on top of them and then watched Up, which is one of my personal favourites.
I got to sleep in a bit Saturday, which was fantastic. I went on a walk around center Saturday afternoon. It was the first time I’ve sweat since I’ve been here. I walked all around getting aquainted and taking pictures. I thought I was lost for a while, but managed to find my way back home. I visited the horse paddocks, and it made me feel right at home. I plan on calling someone tonight to find out some details so I can ride and work out there while I’m here. I made friends with an adorable black lab named Ebony. I played with her for a few minutes, and when I went to continue my walk, she ran along her line to follow me and the next thing I know she’s popped her head through the bushes, which were to my right side. It was probably about the cutest thing ever.
After my walk, I just relaxed until dinner. I played piano, read a bit, and climbed a tree in our backyard. It was my night to make dinner and I made Spanish rice with veggies and such in it. It actually turned out pretty good. Be impressed, world. Not long after dinner came time for the “auction” which was held at our house. It was for a woman named Laura who is going on furlough for six months. Whoever wanted something first, got it. I got a shirt, two books, and a pair of Five Finger shoes (I’m still not sure how I feel about the shoes). I also got two old copies of a Guidepost publication. After all, they did give me my first legitimate contract. People brought snacks and we hung out and played games until around 11 p.m. I learned a new game called “Hand and Foot” and wasn’t half bad. My partner and I won.
Sunday I went to the English service at church and then was invited to lunch with Mr. and Mrs. Pfaff, whose son goes to Taylor with me. I never actually met him, but his parents are wonderful. My roommates came with me, as well as a guy named Josiah. We ate and talked for quite a while, and then Josiah was going into Ukarumpa village to play volleyball with some nationals there, and I went along with him. We had a cross a pretty sketchy bridge to get there, but I made it without falling. It was really fun to just get to sit and hang out with the nationals. I had some good, albeit broken, conversations. The women were very kind and told me it meant a lot that I was willing to just be a part of their group. Most of the kids were pretty scared of me at first, as I was probably the first or one of the first whiteskins they’ve ever seen, but they warmed up to me. A lot of them just wanted to shake my hand or touch my skin or hair. It was pretty cute.
After that I went home for about an hour before leaving to go hang out with some of the high school alumni. I went with Josiah and a girl named Hope, who also goes to Taylor, though I didn’t really know her until I got here either. It was fun. We had theological discussions about things like the role of women, submission in and outside of marriage and God’s will. Josiah walked me back a little after 10 p.m. (since I’m not allowed to walk anywhere alone after dark). I got ready for work the next day and chatted with my roommates a bit before heading off to bed.
Today has been super rainy. It’s probably the hardest it’s rained since I’ve been here (all of one week). This is getting a tad long, so I should probably stop here. I’m feeling a bit off today. Not really sick, just not totally well, so if you could keep my health in your prayers, I’d appreciate it. The last thing I want is to be stuck in bed sick while I’m here.

1 comment:

  1. Get better, enjoy the shoes, and keep up the good work. It's fun hearing about what you're doing. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete