Sunday, July 10, 2011

Whoops.

So it’s been about a week since I last updated. My bad.
Things here have been going along in what is now the new norm. I’ve been working and reading a ton. I’m reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People for my practicum and after that I plan on starting The Search for the Source, which was written by a PNG missionary. I had a long conversation with someone here about books, and he is now trying to find fantasy books that I would like, since I told him that it’s the one genre I have been known to dislike almost entirely. So for fun I’m also reading a book called Men at Arms, which is part of the Disc World series, I think. So far, it’s pretty good. Still not my favourite thing to read, but it’s not nearly as bad as some of the fantasy I’ve read. He also gave me a book from another series he thought I might like, and the lady at one of the community libraries here had me rent out The Once and Future King. So we’ll see. Since leaving home I have also read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, and Jude the Obscure. My goal is to have well over 3,000 pages read this summer, not including the things I have to read for work each day.
One thing that was new and exciting was a coffeehouse/game night Friday. It was kind of crazy, as there were a ton of people there. I personally played Taboo, and a game with paper and dice (which is really intense) where you try to be the first to write to 100, but you only get the pen by rolling a certain number or colour and we go around in a circle rolling the dice. I also learned a new game, what some people called the Paper Game. It’s like telephone pictionary. It makes for really hilarious stories. I’ll have to teach it to many of you when I get home because it’s just great.
Leading worship on Sunday went really well. It was hard since the group is so diverse (different ages, backgrounds, ethnicities, denominations) but I’ve gotten a lot of compliments and encouragement from people from several walks of life, so hopefully it was a success for the rest. Either way, I got to sing and play guitar for the Lord, which is when I feel closest to Him.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, T. H. White's Once and Future King is really good, and basically set the standard for all of Arthurian myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that dice and paper game....so fun!

    ReplyDelete